Is Your Blog Losing Money?

Is Your Blog Losing Money?
Discover exactly how to build a business, not just a blog!

Monday, October 23, 2006

Herbs: Her Majesty - The Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)

To me, rosemary is mostly about memories. Its distinctive smell teleports me straight to the ranch-type, yellow painted vacation home with the rosemary hedge around on the beach. All that is far away and far back in the past of my childhood. But without a mistake, this time travel happens to me every time I slide my hand over the rosemary bush in front of my house. The magical smell fills up my nostrils and the pleasure of innocent childhood happiness starts rising in my body…

Not only is the aroma, rosemary’s taste is also distinguishing. That’s a good reason to be conservative whenever using it as a spice. A fresh sprig of rosemary makes a nice decoration with many foods, especially fish. Just don’t try to put it in your mouth and chew on it.

Some sources mention the use of rosemary essential oil as a cure for stomachaches and to stimulate the blood circulation. Other natural healing uses: eyestrain, for shiny dark hair, headache, as cellulite eliminator, as pain relief. Only, I’m not a doctor and can’t prescribe you anything.

For now, plant rosemary in a sunny spot somewhere around your home. It will also grow in a pot. Rosemary plants prefer fertile, well drained soil. Different kinds of rosemary are hardy in different zones. If you’re not sure, bring it in the house before freezing. In case you have several plants, leave one or two established plants outside and see if they survive.

Rosemary twigs look great in vases (see the pictures at: www.TheSunflowerGardens.com) plus, they make the inside of your home smell fresh. Every rosemary bush can be pruned to a desired shape. Another attribute of rosemary’s aroma is - it keeps the rodents away!

As soon as I’m done typing this article, I’m going out. There’s a rosemary bush in front of our house. In less than two years it grew from a tiny plant from the nursery to the size of about a yard across. I’m going to brush the top with my hand, close my eyes and spend a few moments on a beautiful distant beach…

No comments: